Friday 1 August 2014

What is the job of a Liturgy Committee?

Part of the deal for me being involved with parish musics being on the liturgy committee.

An interesting quote from this blog:
"The real work of a liturgy committee is to study and reflect upon the Church's liturgical documents in the hope of bringing the Church's wisdom into creative conversations to help shape the liturgical life of the Catholic parish."

On reflection, I think I agree with him: if you're on the liturgy committee, it's actually your job to know what the wider Church does when it prays together. It's not just the priest's job - it's everyone's, because we all bring a different lens into play when we study the church documents.

I might twitch it slightly: leave out the word "creative" (it's laden with other meanings), and put the focus onto this particular parish. Also, people here think that church = Catholic ... so I was going to leave the word out. but on reflection, I think that's an even more important reason to leave it in. And while this study is probably the most important work, the week-by-week and season-by-season co-ordination is pretty necessary too. So I'd end up with
"The first job of our liturgy committee is to study and reflect upon the Church's liturgical documents in the hope of bringing the Church's wisdom into the conversations that shape the liturgical life of our Catholic parish."

All that said - suggesting that we study documents isn't necessarily going to be popular! I've seen glazed looks when I suggested that we could all read a two-page summary of the role of music in liturgy.  Not sure what reaction a whole book would get.

But I know there's been a programme on the catechism which the pastoral council have been doing. Maybe we should start asking for a similar one on the liturgical documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment