Sunday 9 March 2014

1st Sunday of Lent, Year A

What we sang 

  • Entrance:   Christ be Beside Me
  • Psalm:  Spoken
  • Offertory:   Instrumental
  • Communion:  Ubi Caritas
  • Sending:  Bind us Together

What I'd like to have sung:

The psalm:  I've known an arrangement of Create in me a New Heart (it feels like) forever.   Never found it published anywhere, it must be one that travelled "through the ether" back in the 1980s.   I did once see a cowboy version of it on YouTube -and tried to put that sound out of my mind ever since!      And though I've sung some fancy Miserere settings in choirs, none of them have the same impact on me as the English words do.

Also, while I was listening to the readings yesterday, John Foley's Turn to Me kept coming to mind, more for the tone of it than any particular words.    It's been a while since I was in a parish with the musical resources to pull it off, so it's definitely one that I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment